by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Golf Australia Express : GA Express 312
A KIND EAR...THAT’S ALL WE WANT M y brother is what might best be described as an infrequent golfer. His average time between rounds probably nudges five years and I don’t think he’ll mind me suggesting he has limited natural aptitude for the game. Despite that, however, he may be responsible for one of the best golf ideas I’ve ever heard, one that would save an awful lot of people an awful lot of heartache. I can’t recall exactly where or when he came up with the 1800-GOLF concept but I know it has stayed with me ever since he first suggested it. Genius in its simplicity, 1800-GOLF is essentially LifeLine for golfers and it is a service the game desperately needs. We’re all familiar with (and let’s be honest, have occasionally been guilty of being) the golfer who feels it necessary to recount – in intricate detail – the happenings of a particular round or hole to anyone who will listen. Perhaps it is the story of the putt that lipped out and cost the chance to go to a play-off for the B-Grade Club Championship or the unlikely birdie made at the Old Course’s Road Hole. It may be the tale of the lone ace of the player’s career coming in a casual round while playing alone or the time they made a birdie in a pro-am with a big crowd watching on. (All the above stories are, of course, my own and as I type the words I can see as clear as day the eyes of countless playing partners and golfing friends glazing over at the re-telling.) But that’s where 1800-GOLF comes in. Rather than bore friends and family with tiresome tales of triumph and tragedy simply pick up the phone and find a friendly ear willing to listen – and occasionally acknowledge – the good, bad and indifferent luck that besets us all on the course. It is difficult to calculate how many significant others might be saved the Saturday evening torture of a blow-by-blow account of that day’s litany of near misses and bad bounces if 1800-GOLF were introduced. Across Australia, wives would breathe a sigh of relief knowing that before their 13-marker husband walks in the door he will have already spoken to the nice people at 1800-GOLF and got the day’s travails off his chest. And for us golfers, what a joy it would be to find someone willing to pretend to be interested in the bad break we got on the 12th and the equally good bounce that helped us to a birdie at the 15th. There’s an old saying in professional golf that when a player makes seven on a hole, 80 percent of the field don’t care and the other 20 percent wish it had been an eight. Amateur golf is much the same except for the 20 percent. At our level, nobody cares except the individual golfer. And, if it existed, the nice people at 1800-GOLF. VIEW THE ROD MORRI is an award-winning writer and podcast presenter. He hosts The iseekgolf.com Podcast weekly. CLICK here to listen.
GA Express 311
GA Express 313